My Blog List

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Social Networking Sites

Let's start from the most common name which is Facebook. This social network allows us to post pictures and comments, or even videos, links, events, etc. It allows people to be unites across the globe, wherever the internet access is available. Like for myslef, for instance, where the only way to communicate with my family in Poland is through the phone or Facebook. Comapring those two, phone cards are getting expensive and facebook is basically free, because there is a flat monthly cost in general. I can chat with my friends and family overseas as long and as many times as I want and view their updated pictures and events.

Twitter however, is slightly different from Facebook, because you cannot post a picture of an event, just a short up to 140 words sentence about what is happening in your life at the moment. There is a limited capacity on what you can post because of the words limit. If i'd want to post my favorite poem, i would have to break it into few parts.

My Space used to be number one social network before Facebook came along. What I liked about it was that I could assign a song to my profile, so when someone entered it, they could automatically hear the song. I thought that was a brilliant idea, that Facebook is lacking at the moment. Maybe they don't want to be a copycat :) On My Space users can design their profile space and customize it in the way they like.

Skype is a website where you can actually talk live with another person across the world. It is not as popular as Facebook but its popularity is growing tremendously and I believe someday people won't use calling cards anymore, but skype with  people and enjoy seeing one onother. Skype was an outstanding idea because it is like being "there" with your friends or family at that moment. Not only chatting or hearing their voice, but to be able to see and smile to them. That is priceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment